i ran into someone at sage in echo park the other night and they asked me, ‘i know you have your studio in your lautner house, but what does it look like?’ so… here’s my studio.
i know, it’s small and underwhelming (just like some musician architectural bloggers i know). but i’m including it because:
- it’s where i work
- it was challenging building a small personal recording studio in a lautner bedroom. the challenge was to respect and not compromise or damage lautner’s paneling and original millwork. (also, to be honest, some of the wood in the lautner house was in REALLY bad shape, so we had to go out and try to replace the damaged wood with newly stained wood that matched lautner’s original work. it was challenging.).
- i’m putting out a new record in the autumn and i thought i’d put up some pictures of where i work.
(and, a caveat: in taking/posting these pictures i’ve learned: it’s hard to take beautiful and artistic photos of a small bedroom studio… so, mea culpa).
ok, basically: i’m a bedroom musician. my first studio back when i was 18 years old and had a tascam 4 track was in my bedroom (eventually a basement, but it started in my bedroom). then i moved to an abandoned factory and my studio WAS my bedroom. then i moved to a slightly less abandoned factory and once again my studio was my bedroom. then i renovated a small loft in manhattan and put my studio in the bedroom and decided to sleep in a closet.
yes, glamorous and true. the bedroom in my loft in nyc is soundproofed and has good air conditioning, so that’s where i put my studio. and the closet in my loft in nyc is kind of cozy, so that’s where i sleep. and now i have my studio in a bedroom in los angeles. granted it’s a bedroom in a very interesting john lautner guest house, but it’s still a little bedroom.
many of my friends have HUGE GIGANTIC AMAZING STUDIOS. but i’m just one little guy, so why would i need A HUGE GIGANTIC AMAZING STUDIO? plus i like working in small spaces (maybe i was a monk in a past life. or, given my veganism and sobriety, maybe i’m a monk in my current life. or maybe i’m just little and dull).
so, architecture. a beautiful but crumbly john lautner bedroom that we turned into a small one person recording studio (oh, p.s-i apologize for not tidying up for the pictures, but this is architectural blogging verite). trying to make it efficient and practical and sonically sound (no pun intended) while respecting all of lautner’s original work and detailing was, as i mentioned, the interesting and challenging part of the renovation. and now that it’s renovated and nice and small and functional it’s where i work on music and where i made/recorded/wrote all of the music for ‘innocents’, my next record.
oh: much less glamorously… i keep my drums in the basement. maybe someday i’ll take pictures of my drums in the basement but i can almost guarantee that no one wants/needs to see a picture of a basement filled with drums and microphones.
and oh, i’m off to tahoe and nyc and canada for a few weeks, so my architectural updates won’t involve l.a for a little while.
p.s any fans of musical gear will notice that 99% of my musical equipment is kind of old and broken down. for some reason i really love old and broken down musical equipment (thank you ebay). especially as i try to make music that has a quality of vulnerability it just makes sense to use broken down equipment that also has a quality of vulnerability. or so i believe. plus old equipment smells nice.
p.s.s i also have really good alarm systems at my house, so just because i’m going away doesn’t mean anyone will be able to break into my house… or, rather, you could break in, but THE LAW would be here real quick. so, no ‘bling ring’ (or ‘analogue drum machine ring’) will be happening here, i’m guessing.
1129 Notes/ Hide
- flashbox-officialpage likes this
- blog-marat-temirgaliyev reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- clubesecreto reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture and added:
- clubesecreto likes this
- orangefranta likes this
- thebluecatfish reblogged this from mobystudiodiary
- greynight likes this
- calebmoultrie reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- onemoresigh reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- onemoresigh likes this
- jshbrtz reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- noryjdope likes this
- iiameiren likes this
- knowyourthoughts reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- si7 likes this
- alwaystheascot likes this
- iamthebazookatooth reblogged this from victimofthecity
- victimofthecity reblogged this from bucketbd
- steelopus likes this
- unplugger likes this
- bucketbd reblogged this from rudypalos
- tr808 likes this
- a-quiline likes this
- torontofangirl likes this
- weareblahblahblah reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture and added:
- weareblahblahblah likes this
- moltovomito likes this
- rudypalos reblogged this from northelevation
- pure-silence-15 likes this
- migzz04castaneda likes this
- luxelis reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- hiddenticket reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- grouchyhobo12 likes this
- jlmnrv likes this
- neuroactivity likes this
- louderspace likes this
- zecaffeinatedmumbler reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- donnagucci likes this
- ikr-omfg reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- comilee likes this
- t-me-t-w-sandwich reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- 101cowboy likes this
- osendeavors reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- sueing likes this
- artversa likes this
- edherrr likes this
- djnewberlin likes this
- capturedbysam likes this
- hamburgblog likes this