i’m not sure where my love of abandoned buildings comes from. or, syntactically, i’m not sure from where my love of abandoned buildings comes. in any case: i love abandoned buildings.
when i was growing up i used to spend hours and days:
finding abandoned buildings.
breaking into abandoned buildings.
wandering around abandoned buildings.
the abandoned buildings i played in as a child were all relatively old and victorian (which made them even creepier and fantastic). whereas l.a tends to have abandoned mid-century buildings, like this amazing, abandoned hotel. at least i think it’s a hotel. or was a hotel.
now it’s just a big, abandoned, beautiful modern building either waiting to be rescued from entropy or quietly observed by weirdos like me as entropy ravages it further. all the while writing run-on sentences, which i also love.
this particular abandoned building piques and keeps my interest because it clearly as at one point was a brand new building filled with mid century hipsters and swingers doing mid century hipster and swinger things (involving cocktails and lava lamps and prescription medication, one assumes). and now it sits moribund, with great lines and great bones, but moribund.
some buildings (old victorians, etc) seem like they were old when they were new. other buildings (mid century, etc) seem like they were designed to be forever new and futuristic, which makes their inevitable slide into entropic dissolution even more jarring, and strangely beautiful.
like abandoned space stations, almost. which, possibly, this is.
ok, have a nice weekend.
258 Notes/ Hide
- versus7614 reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- antonelliema likes this
- t-me-t-w-sandwich reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- whatisaurlidonthaveone likes this
- tylerandsociety likes this
- tc36 likes this
- ceceisbitchen likes this
- sharon--elizabeth reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- littlelondonphotographer likes this
- anayalaytor likes this
- erctusu likes this
- waxyslittlesister likes this
- copperchameleon likes this
- green-guild reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- coderp reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- jebbyjones likes this
- vandrossa likes this
- designisthemovement reblogged this from infinite-depth
- alexanderag likes this
- mcolt911 likes this
- wantonviolins reblogged this from amaki09
- ico reblogged this from gasoline-station
- nakedenigma likes this
- urbandisintegration reblogged this from wantonviolins
- bladerunnerfan likes this
- emilydotcom likes this
- wantonviolins likes this
- infinite-depth likes this
- infinite-depth reblogged this from gasoline-station
- seisakusyo reblogged this from amaki09
- georgiaphilip reblogged this from amaki09
- passengerirritantdevice reblogged this from amaki09
- bigorna80 likes this
- yifanshuyi likes this
- deepenny likes this
- ays101 likes this
- prostetiche likes this
- baadmeaninggood reblogged this from gasoline-station
- seamusiteverwas likes this
- thevengefulmariner reblogged this from gasoline-station
- topgig likes this
- cerncernel likes this
- studioamaravati likes this
- attreversiamo likes this
- scavengedluxury likes this
- laurabfernandez likes this
- musiqueslyphe likes this
- kaewkarn likes this