i was raised in a family that for lots of great reasons idolized buckminster fuller. i remember one christmas hearing my aunts and uncles talking about buckminster fuller, and i had no idea who or what they were talking about. was buckminster fuller a person? i had no idea.
then as i got older i learned that buckminster fuller was, in fact, a person. and that he’d sort of invented the rocket car and the geodesic dome, among other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller
and then as i got even older (i’ve had plenty of time in which to get older) i came to idolize (posthumously) the great bucky fuller.
some of his better quotes:
“There is no energy crisis, only a crisis of ignorance.”
“I live on Earth at present, and I don’t know what I am. I know that I am not a category. I am not a thing—a noun. I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process—an integral function of the universe.”
when i moved to l.a i heard apocryphal lore about a bucky fuller dome somewhere up in the hollywood hills. and then when i dug deeper i learned that the bucky fuller dome had been taken down, due to issues of privacy and insulation. sniff. poor bucky fuller dome. although i guess i understand that living in a residential neighborhood in a hot, transparent ball might lose it’s appeal after a while.
but, as it turns out, there’s a sort of quasi geodesic dome based house in my neighborhood. and so today i’ll share some pictures of it.
it’s not a bucky fuller geodesic dome (well, or maybe it is. hmm. ok, in the interest of making urban lore more interesting let’s say that it is a bucky fuller geodesic dome).
in any case, here are some pictures of the geodesic dome in my neighborhood. and now, as agreed upon 1 sentence back, we all know that it’s a bucky fuller geodesic dome. let’s go one step further and say that it’s a 3-D residential representation of buckminsterfullerene, the molecule named after buckminster fuller.
see, history is written by the people taking the time to write it. and i’m always way more interested in compelling and interesting history than factually accurate history.
44 Notes/ Hide
- hj-photographs likes this
- ottosteininger likes this
- damienraeslikes likes this
- noir-ne likes this
- enthrallingwaves likes this
- therikeone likes this
- buckminster-fuller likes this
- buckminster-fuller reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture and added:
- isaywutuwont reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- reckon likes this
- thepittsburghhistoryjournal likes this
- new-breed reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture and added:
- catsfeltlings reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- catsfeltlings likes this
- inlandwest likes this
- juanetefv reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- todaywear likes this
- pav-love-ian likes this
- apeflavored likes this
- facealamer likes this
- arinacretu likes this
- rationalperception reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture and added:
- green-guild reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture and added:
- doldrumphilosophy likes this
- dkyy likes this
- eleven02 likes this
- uncannyvalleyofthedolls reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- memorabiliasreborn reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- ladirectionhonore likes this
- mikasavela likes this
- atomic-oxygen likes this
- bitchuation reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- dancingangelrachelle likes this
- starryfeet likes this
- chad-i-llac likes this
- pitythefoo reblogged this from mobylosangelesarchitecture
- cubillismo likes this
- osiflandia likes this
- robertkardashianjunior likes this
- mobylosangelesarchitecture posted this